Sunday, June 3, 2007

i miss hippies

Last night I went to a Martin Sexton show at the Three Rivers Arts Festival in Pittsburgh. I love Martin Sexton. In all honesty, I think he might be one of the most talented musicians EVER. His neck basically doubles in size when he does the vocal horns. I love it. It's hot. Anyway, I was at this concert in the middle of a park in downtown Pittsburgh and I decided a few things. Here they are:
#1-I miss northwestern hippies swaying and dancing in their weirdo ways to the live music. The sight of these hippies has become a staple in my attendance at outdoor concerts. I had years of training at Munch n' Music in Drake Park in Bend, OR and at events such as the Folk Life Festival at the Seattle Center in Seattle, WA.
#2-I wish I was a northwest hippie... at least a little bit. If I were to become a hippie I would want to be a clean one. I would still shave, bathe regularly and wear deodorant, but I would do the whole dread lock thing, wear natural flowing fibered garments, get a few tattoos, make my own shoes, and make up weird dances that I would perform shamelessly at outdoor concerts in the middle of summer (these dances would most likely involve brightly colored scarves). And I would change my name to Juniper or Moon Beam.
#3-There is something very powerful about concerts. I don't know if its the crowd, the volume, the personal involvement that makes the whole experience seem oddly intimate, or all of the people smoking who knows what, but live shows are powerful.
#4-I had a great time and I think everyone should know and love Martin Sexton... or at least his music. (also I think that if my Uncle Ron were to be a big time musician, he would be a lot like Martin Sexton)

Check him out at www.martinsexton.com and his new album, Seeds is really good.

2 comments:

Steph Bradac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaytee said...

I miss hippies too ... oh wait, no I don't because today was the Fremont Solstice Parade! That's like hippie mecca! But I do know that I miss you! Good thing I get to see you in a month and a half!