Some people refuse to join facebook because they are taking some sort of "stand" against on-line social networks or they think it will compromise the value of their interpersonal relationships. To that I say, "blah, blah, blah." Thanks to facebook, being a voyeur has never been so easy! Mini-feed not only allows me to track somewhat intimate details about my friends but also my friends' friends. I don't even know these people! But I get to see embarrassing pictures of them and be a part of conversations I wasn't invited to. How is this not something to be desired? Plus, on facebook, I have over 600 friends. Some of these people I've never met but that doesn't determine friendship when it's virtual.
On freshman move-in day, I over heard a freshman walk up to a Hall Council member and say, "Are you Chris? We are friends on facebook, so I thought I would introduce myself." See... now that's community in action. Where would residence hall community be with out facebook? Having a party or a small get-together? Advertise with facebook! Feeling the need to connect more deeply around an issue you care about? Start a facebook group! Not sure how to flirt in real life? Poke someone!
Facebook.com: it's like having a social life.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So funny and so true! I love it!
jenn, i find myself doing the same thing with blogs. and since you posted this, i feel compelled to confess that i followed a link of steph's blog to yours and was only going to peek until i found out you're a really fun blogger and i couldn't stop reading! i was so excited to see you and ron's photo and hear an update on your relationship. it seems silly, since i hardly know you, but i am glad to hear that you're doing well and i might just add your blog to my list (if you don't mind!). somehow it is ok to read random blogs of folks you've never met, but i feel like i'm stalking a little if i read a blog of someone i know without their knowledge. (facebook on the other hand is a stalker friendly zone that i feel no remorse about!) so no stalking...i read your blog and liked it :)
cheers, angela (steph's old roommate)
Post a Comment