I am currently in the process of looking for a new job. I've been working at Geneva College as a Residence Director for almost three years now. I will be finished with my masters degree in May and I am very confidant that it is time to move back to the west coast. I've been sending out a few resumes and doing some phone interviews. I don't really like phone interviews but seeing as how they are a necessity, I have tried to compose a list of both the good and the bad of phone interviewing. Here is my pro/con list that I sent my friend Kyle a few days ago:
Pros:
I can wear sweatpants
No one knows if my breath smells bad
I might get sweaty...but who cares?!
I can have a bunch of notes or "cheat sheets"
If a question is difficult, I can quickly use Wikipedia for help
If I need to buy more time I can just pretend that the phone connection is bad and ask for the question to be repeated
Cons:
I don't get any non-verbal feedback
Speaker phone is never that great
People might be bored to death with me and I can't tell
My jokes aren't as good
My hand motions are ineffective
No one is impressed with my fashion sense
I become way too wordy
And again, the lack of non-verbals
If you have any to add to the list...please do!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Pro - don't havae to worry about fighting traffic or finding a parking spot.
Con - ditto to the non verbals
Pro - you don't have to worry about interpreting non verbals that aren't clear.
:)
Pro - If you have a monster zit that day, you won't have wonder if everyone is staring at it and then, out of complete nervousness, announce to everyone that you know that you have a big zit on your face and then proceed to point to it.
Con- You can't use your cleavage as leverage.
We actually DID know that you have bad breath...some things never change. Even still...I think you did pretty good... :)
REAL excited for you in this new season! Oh...and thanks for the blog comment a little while back. Good to know we're all spying on one another and keeping up. God bless the internet.
Post a Comment