Monday, January 21, 2008

secrets

Sometimes I check the Postsecret blog. For those who don't know, Postsecret is a compilation of homemade postcards that people anonymously write a secret on and send out. These postcards are published in books, posted on the website and many are touring in various art galleries around the world. Sometimes I try to think of what secret I would write if I were going to send one in. Most of the time I am shocked at the hurt people are going through and shocked that they don't trust anyone enough to help them through the pain.

Today I found myself resonating with this postcard:

Most of the time I don't see American Christianity offering people anything different than our consumer-driven society offers. Doesn't the New Testament speak continuously about giving up earthly possessions and riches? It seems to me that most religious propaganda only cheapens the message of the gospel. Because of this, sometimes I am embarrassed to call myself a Christian.
I thought that Christianity was supposed to be counter-cultural. I thought that Christianity was supposed to offer something different, something that gives meaning, something real.

No comments: