Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year, new me...

People are always making New Years Resolutions. When I was in high school a friend and I would try to come up with the most ridiculous resolutions. Stupid things like: go to a wrestling match, eat with the nerds in the cafeteria (we weren't much cooler) and get boyfriends. These resolutions really didn't change us. I guess they didn't fit into the category of "resolution" as much as we thought...
Last year my New Years Resolution was to journal. I recognized that I am not a very reflective person and so I wanted to work on that. Although I am not as constant in journaling as I would like to be, I do have a journal and I do use it. Sometimes I take a stroll back through it's pages and I am able to see how I have learned and grown. Journaling has made me a healthier person. I consider this to be a New Years Resolution success story (although it did take me until March to actually begin journaling).
This year, my New Years Resolution is to buy only one thing for myself each month. Groceries don't count (or coffee because I don't buy it in excess anyway). DVDs, CDs, shoes, shirts, candles, etc. are all being limited to one item a month. I can't buy in advance and count them for future months but I can save up purchases to use in future months. This year, I want to be less of a consumer. I have a lot of stuff and I spend too much money on myself. This year, I don't want to go shopping as therapy. I want to be less selfish this year.
I share this with you all for accountability. This is serious, folks. No more ridiculous resolutions about wrestling matches (although a boyfriend would be nice...). I want to be different and have less stuff.

3 comments:

Steph Bradac said...

Does this also extend to buying wrestling match tickets and/or getting boyfriends for your friends?

Chuck said...

What about buying your friends tickets to the wrestling matches you have with your boyfriends?

Nah- That would be too weird.

Jessica said...

You should be careful because wrestling matches with your boyfriend can lead to unplanned motherhood.

think about it.