Sunday, October 25, 2009

It's tradition

Every Sunday, Ron and I watch football. If you know Ron, this is stating the obvious. I myself have never really been a football fan, but I'm learning a lot. (I even own a Steelers t-shirt.) So, along with the tradition of watching football on Sunday, Ron has started the tradition of making pizza for Sunday night dinner.
We buy dough and pizza sauce from Trader Joe's and then Ron works his magic. He credits his skill to his years as a Pizza Delivery guy, dating back as far as 1996 (shout out to Pizza Outlet). I think he enjoys the process as much as the outcome feast. I also enjoy the process (because I never even enter the kitchen) and I indeed feast! Typically, we eat an entire pizza between the two of us. I eat 3 pieces and Ron eats 5 (it's well deserved, he is the pizza artist). So, here is what I believe the recipe to be:

1 pkg of original pizza dough from Trader Joe's
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/2 tsp Italian Spices
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Pizza sauce
grated mozzarella cheese
pepperoni
mushrooms

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. First Ron kneads the dough and spreads it onto the pan, then he spreads out some EVOO. Next he very carefully and precisely, seasons the pizza with Italian, basil, oregano, parsley and garlic salt. Then he spreads out some sauce on the seasoned dough. He is very careful not to over sauce the pizza. He just puts on the perfect amount. After the sauce, Ron spreads on an initial layer of grated mozzarella cheese, followed by pepperoni and mushrooms. Then he tops the pizza with an additional layer of cheese.
The pizza is then cooked for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly in the middle.

I love this tradition and hope it is one that we continue into old age. I also love that today is Sunday and my taste buds are already craving Ron C Pizza.

1 comment:

Mindi said...

I love Trader Joe's pizza dough! This sounds delicious- I'm gonna have to try it out! Or maybe if it's a guy thing I can tell Jeff to do it... follow in good ole Ron's footsteps!